Today is the FINAL DISCUSSION for our amazing Summer-Read-Along! But before we jump in I wanted to let you know, Champions, that W. R. has two novelettes out for this series as well: All the Different Shades of Blue, and Cloudy With A Chance of Dropbears. She also has some free extras over on her Facebook Page (under the Notes section) so if you haven’t gone and liked her page, here’s the excuse you need! (Side notes, the Novellas take place farther out in the series in books that aren’t available yet. W. R. says Cloudy should take place after book 5 and Shades of Blue is between books 6 & 7. (And I say mad props to her for being able to keep all of this straight!)
W. R. Gingell and I will be holding an online talk…soon, ahaha we have to get our Timezones figured out and a day picked, but you can expect to see some kind of Youtube live event in the next two weeks or so, so stay tuned!
Next, I want to give a big thank you to W. R. Gingell for joining us in our fun in the comments, and for taking the time to answer my interview questions. And I also want to thank you awesome Champions for entering into the spirit of our Summer-Read-Along. This event was so much fun for me, and it’s been such a blast looking over your theories and seeing all the things you guys picked up on that I missed!
Since today is the last day I’m naturally raising the spoiler ban so we can discuss everything today! I also thought it would be fun if we closed out by taking a look at some of your amazing theories from past few weeks.
- had some amazing insight on our favorite goth girl Morgana and noted that perhaps she is part mermaid given that she’s bedridden and her breathing sounds raspy! Colleen, on the other hand, wondered if W. R. is goes with another poem theme she might be Elaine from The Lady of Shalott. Either theory thinks way out of the box, so mad props! 😉
- Elizabeth pointed out during Between Floors Zero and JinYeong both seemed a little more open to comforting Pet every time she woke up after Athelas killed her–something they wouldn’t have done previously, and something I absolutely agree with. (JinYeong in particular seemed to soften up to her, though perhaps Zero understood more just how upsetting it was.)
- Caitlin, Rachel, and Faith had a great conversation as they noted that in Between Floors JinYeong actually falls asleep with Pet–something Vampires don’t do often–and wonders what the significance is to this given that Pet has had something of a wonky affect on him from book one when she essentially tricks his nose . (This line of thinking is something I hadn’t quite noticed either, so I’m all ears on this one!)
- Many of us (like myself, Diane, Kadi, Faith, ) think that Pet might be a Heirling. (I was especially inclined to think so after Between Frames, because who else could be the Harbinger’s favorite???) BUT I remember in an earlier discussion–though I can’t find the comment so I don’t know who to credit, sorry–it was mentioned that if Pet was fae….the werewolf virus should have been deadly to her. Hmmmmmmmmmmmm….so many questions.
- Some fabulous readers DID solve some of the Korean translations in the Between Floors discussion, so if you’re curious go check out that discussion post.
In regarding the romance in this series, I think Kat best summed it up in a comment she made in an earlier discussion post: “I’m not proud of how late I stayed up last night reading book three (though I don’t really regret it either). Having finished it, I can officially say that I’m jumping ships…into the ocean. I’m just gonna float there until I can figure out how the heck I feel about the potential romantic relationships in this series.”
I’m right there with you, Kat! Too many ships–I can’t commit to just one!
I’ll actually be around for the discussion this week (more on why I was absentee this week in a future post) so if anyone wants to float some new theories out there, I’m all ears! 😀
And that’s everything! I can’t wait to see what you guys want to discuss–though I’m hoping you guys were as heartbroken by Athelas’ childhood and cackling over a “drunk” Zero like I was! 😉 But I digress. Let the talking begin!